UAE supports $ 7.6 billion for indigenous Arabs to cope with "price storm"

UAE supports $ 7.6 billion for indigenous Arabs to cope with “price storm”

In recent months, people living in the UAE, including foreigners, have expressed concerns about the rising cost of living, with retail fuel prices up about 80 percent since the start of the year.

Indigenous Arabs (Emiratis) make up about 10% of the UAE’s total population of 10 million; The remaining 90% of the population is mostly foreigners who do not receive this financial assistance.

The United Arab Emirates will double financial support for low-income Indigenous Arab (Emiratis) families to 28 billion dirhams ($7.6 billion) as residents struggle with a price storm.

According to wam news agency, additional budgets will be allocated to increase existing benefits and create new benefits to mitigate the impact of food price inflation, fuel prices and the cost of electricity.

The new package will also include financial support for college students and unemployed workers over the age of 45.

It is not clear where the additional funding will come from.

Emiratis make up about 10 percent of the UAE’s 10 million-strong population, most of whom are migrant workers and dependents.

The majority of the rest of the group are low-income workers, mostly foreigners, so will not benefit directly from the additional financial assistance package.